When the weather is getting hotter, I recommend you spend an evening making a large batch of this beautiful soup. It is both healthy and tasty, and well loved by all family members. I like to use vegetable stock, this means the dish is completely vegetarian and all my friends can enjoy it as well.
The soup can be served hot or cold. I would cool the soup for at least 4 hours before serving. That’s why I like to make this dish a day in advance.
This soup is also beautiful als a small course at a dinner party or for a high tea. Just serve the soup in a dainty tea cup or a small glass instead of a large plate.
Vichyssoise (6 portions)
- 2 leaks, sliced and thoroughly cleaned, including the green part
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 500 – 750 ml vegetable stock
- 150 ml cream
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- To serve:
- Greek yoghurt or sour cream
- Chopped spring onion or chives
- Fry off the potatoes, onion, leaks and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Add vegetable stock until all ingredients are submerged.
- Simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
- Blend the soup to a smooth puree, add stock if you want a thinner soup.
- Stir in the cream and season to taste. Remember that cold soup will need stronger seasoning.
- Serve your soup with a dollop of Greek yoghurt or sour cream and some chopped chives or spring onions.
On hot summer evenings I enjoy a plate of this cold soup with some fresh bread. The best thing is that all you have to do is serve it up, no mess or fuss, just a cooling and healthy dinner.