I love making oven dishes for my family. Here are some of the reasons why:
- They fit in my busy schedule. You can often assemble the dish in advance, store it in your fridge or freezer, and warm and crisp it up in the oven when you want to eat it. This means I often make multiple oven dishes in the weekend which can be warmed up after a busy day in the office.
- They are healthy. For my oven dishes I use lots of fresh veg and homemade sauces. All I do is warm the ingredients up. Oven baking a dish filled with fresh ingredient, in my mind, is a lot better than a microwaving or frying instant meals.
- They are easy to prepare. Once your oven dish has been made, any family member that knows how the oven works can prepare dinner. While the dish cooks in the oven, we have time to relax or play, or the rest of the family can drive home from work.
These are our family favorites:
- Traditional lasagna with bolognese sauce and a bechamel and crusty top
- Moussaka – our tasty vegetarian version
- Spinache lasagne
- Gnocchi bake
- Shepards pie – I like using leftovers from a stew and covering this with a layer of mashed potatoes.