I decided a simple pasta would do this ingredient justice. My son loved the flavor of the pasta and the sauce, but returned the fried chanterelles to my plate. Oh well, the texture of mushrooms isn’t for everyone, and I was happy to receive extra mushroom.
This recipe would work with any flavorsome mushroom, or even a mix. You can easily leave out the ham for a vegetarian option.
If you are going all out, garnish your pasta with freshly chopped parsley for some freshness and drizzle with some truffle oil.
Funny farfalle with chanterelle cream sauce (serves 2 and 1 toddler)
- 250 grams of pasta
- 150 grams chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 100 grams of ham in fine ribbons
- 1 glass white wine
- 150 ml cream
- Handful of chopped flatleaf parsley
- Some olive oil and a knob of butter
First boil your pasta according to the instructions. While your water boils and your pasta cooks, you can make your sauce.
1. Clean your chanterelle mushrooms and cut them in similar size pieces.
2. Gently fry the chanterelle mushrooms and union in the butter and olive oil until soft. Add salt and pepper to your mushrooms.
3. Add the garlic and the wine. Let this mix stew for a few minutes so the alcohol can evaporate.
4. Stir in the ham and add the cream. You can turn off the heat on your sauce until your pasta is cooked.
Drain your pasta when it is cooked.
5. Warm your sauce and pasta while combining them.
Sprinkle with parsley and dress with some olive oil or truffle oil and enjoy!
My husband named this pizza and it is his idea of food heaven. You can make this pizza using the dough I described in the Perfect Pizza Peluzza. Angry is a reference to the chilies used in this pizza, giving it a kick. And monkey is a reference to the primal state your husband will be in while he waits for this pizza.
Please remember not to put to many ingredients on your pizza, it should be a thin slice of goodness that cooks in a short amount of time. This recipe is for 1 pizza, feel free to make many more and discover your own favorite pizza.
Pizza Angry Monkey
- Pizza dough
- 1 cup of tinned, diced tomatoes
- grated cheese (I use Gouda because I’m dutch, but any hard neutral cheese would do)
- 3-5 slices of mozzarella
- 3-5 slices of tomato
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 5 sliced button mushrooms
- half an onion in rings
- 3-5 slices of salami
- 2 chilies (jalapeno or regular red chilies) in rings
- 1 finely sliced garlic clove
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Preheat your oven to 220 degrees C. Make sure it is well and hot before placing the pizza in, as this guarantees the best crust.
Combine the olive oil and garlic and set aside for after baking.
Roll out your dough to a 30 cm diameter. Prick the bottom thoroughly with a fork. This prevents the dough from puffing up under the topping, and pushing your topping of.
Place your pizza base on the oven plate. Spread the tinned tomatoes over the pizza. Generously season this sauce. Sprinkle with oregano, then with cheese.
Evenly spread out layers of Mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, salami, onion and chili slices.
Bake your pizza for 10 to 20 minutes. Brush your pizza crust with the garlic oil and crack fresh black pepper on top….. and enjoy!
By the way, pizza’s are a great recipe to make with your toddler.