I am always looking for a way to make broccoli more interesting. Somehow this veg does not apeal to me, but I love it with cheese! This recipe makes my life easy. Especialy because I can do all preperations the day before. All I need to do when I get home is heat the dish in the oven.
We like eating this simple broccoli casserole with roast potatoes and maybe a salad on the side. As the sauce is so rich, we like having this broccoli feast as a vegetarian dinner. As a variation to this dish you could mix in cauliflower or maybe .
- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets
- For the cheese sauce:
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 30 grams butter
- 30 grams flour
- 150 ml white wine
- 150 ml milk
- 150 ml stock
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 cups of grated cheese, I like old Gouda or a gruyere for this dish
- salt, pepper and a pinch of nutmeg
- Boil your broccoli until tender. Rince with cold water to stop the cooking process. Place the broccoli in an ovenproof dish and set aside.
- Gently fry the onion in the butter intil soft.
- Add the flour. Stir this mixture on a low heat for at least 2 minutes.
Do not skip this stage to prevent a grainy, floury taste.
- Add the liquids gradually, while mixing and incorporating into a thick sauce.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese and the mustard.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste
- Pour your sauce over the broccoli and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
(You can prepare this dish a day before and keep it in the fridge.)
- Preheat your oven at 220 degrees C. Bake your broccoli for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.